Sunday, November 9, 2008

How I became Shakespeare’s neighbour? (Part 1 - School)

FOREWORD: Before writing this blog, I should be courteous to the person who made me to start blogging, and who is also the inspiration for this particular blog. அந்த நல்லவர், வல்லவர், நாலும்தெரிந்தவர் is Mr Karthick Krishna, my orkut Dhosth. Secondly, don't expect too much from this blog because of the title, this blog is about my English speaking (dis)abilities.

I did my primary schooling at Auxilium, Thanjavur and then high/(er) secondary schooling at Don Bosco Thanjavur. Even though these schools were English Medium, நான் மழைக்கு கூட ஆங்கிலம் செப்பியதில்லை (never spoke in English). We had a principal by name Fr William Rosario who was very strict and was considered to be a terror among the students. He always insisted in spoken English. His usual dialogue during the morning assembly was, "If you want to talk in Tamil go to a corporation school, when you are in Don Bosco you should talk in English. Students who speak in Tamil will be penalised severely. Behave like a Don Bosco student blah blah blah..." But as usual I never heeded to what he said and was in my dream world fighting against invisible criminals with my guns and electronic gadgets (I was addicted to all the detective serials in DD dubbed in Tamil like Suraag , Kaun etc, where you can hear நான் இப்போ என்ன சொல்லவரேன்னா நாம அந்த குற்றவாளிய எப்படியாவது புடிசசே தீரனும் kind of excellent Tamil dialogues). Few enthusiastic studs of my class(refer my How to read newspaper blog here) started to peterfy in English. But me and few of my friends never believed in English as a key language for our life. But we were petrified by the Princi, so at times we also used to talk in American English, some basic english sentences like, "How you?good doing? I homework done, You homework done?" in between this we also teased those peterfy's as, "துறை இங்கிலீஷ் எல்லாம் பேசுது".

இப்படியே பொய்க்கிட்டு இருந்த என் வாழ்க்கையில் ஒரு திருப்புமுணை, in my final year in school (+2) I was made as the Assistant School Pupil Leader of my school (till date I don't know how this miracle happened) it took 4 days for my English teacher (who was also the vice principal of my school then )to tutor me for the welcome address during the School Annual Day (the speech started as LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...and I flopped it on the D-day as well)...but even then i didn't realise how important English is in life...

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Genius Kamal ! ! !

Trisha : கண்ணோடு கண்ணைக் கலந்தாளென்றால் களங்கம் உள்ளவன் எச்சரிக்கை உடனே கையுடன் கைகோர்த்தானா ? ஒழுக்கங் கெட்டவள் எச்சரிக்கை ஆடை க...