Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How I became Shakespeare’s neighbour? (Part 2-College)

Before taking you into my college life I should tell you my knowledge in written English. Due to my thirst for detective books (Courtesy: Hardy Boys, Famous Five, Secret Seven and so on) I managed to pick few avid collection of English words which helped me in polishing my written English and I have this charm for cooking up my own stories right from my childhood (My mom had told me that I once gave her an excellent story at the age of 2.5 how the chocolates in the house went missing, it goes something like it started walking out of the front door because it was scared of my father and in those lines, I don’t remember the exact story I gave her till date) So I have no problems in my written English what mattered was my spoken English which was telegraphing between Tamil and cousin brother of English, Mr Tanglish. Now, I invite you to time travel with me back to the first day of my college life at School of Excellence in Law, Chennai. As usual everyone was asked to introduce themselves to the class, it started with the girls side, I was slightly confident expecting them to be like my gangstas back home, unfortunately they were big guns from DAV, PSBB, PS and what not? Hardly a dozen of non-city students and they were also educated in residential schools. Slowly I started moving back to the last bench as one by one peterfied about them, their back ground blah blah blah… My turn came at last, with a bit of confidence Arun stood up, “I was Arun Kumar” phew…that’s it I knew each and every soul in the class started laughing. But I didn’t show my embarrassment to them instead played really cool and sat down (though my inner mind was having volcanic eruptions as they show in Tamil movies: action, cut action, cut, action, cut - thrice). That day I realised that I HATE ENGLISH and sworn myself that the language which caused disgrace to me should be disgraced and started ignoring it and spoke only in Tamil with my classmates even though they spoke to me in English.



But my hormones which had become cocky from being in a boys' school for 7 years prior to that time turned normal, slowly the flirtatious hormones in me started nudging me to flirt with the girls, but I realised everyone were daughters of Peter and so hated the sons of Thiruvalluvar. So I started seeking some hints as how to improve my English, few of my confides in my class advised me to read story books of good standards and few asked me to listen to English news and English music. But nothing worked well, I flopped in my first moot court competition and was dumped into the last place (Moot Courts-are mock court trials conducted for law students and this actually trains us in court procedures & arguments and it was my dream to be a mooter from the day I started thinking about Law Schools and Legal Profession) so was completely vexed and decided not to give up. So, was slowly pumping up the suggestions given by others and had a resolution to talk only in English to anyone even if it’s utter nonsense. My utter nonsense and confidence was wat too much that I even deceived a brainy, well schooled, peter girl that she was wrong in her language usage. What happened was, I had Champagne (Non-Alcoholic, OC Champagne given at Spencer’s Plaza for some promotion) and was bragging about it to that girl, I told her, “I had CHAMP-INE (pronounced it exactly like this) yesterday”, She immediately said, “Its not CHAMPINE Arun, its SHAMP-INE(the actual pronunciation)”, slowly the bulb above my head started flickering and I was too proud to let myself down and to let the bulb glow bright above my head, so I told her, “No you are wrong if its Alcoholic then its called SHAMPINE, if its Non-Alcoholic its called CHAMPINE” and she said she never knew that. I guess till date she thinks so, if she is reading this then please forgive me…


Nothing changed until the day I met my house mate Xavier, the real saviour. He introduced me into Harry Potter Series, which really created some magic in my life (now who said Harry Potter is just a story, it’s more than just a story to me) that’s it after this no turning back. I could speak with broken English but without many mistakes and also started chatting and chatting and chatting which slowly made me to start speaking English fluently but with a very thick Indian Accent and bad Pronunciation. I became a butt of my friends’ jokes even then, but who gave a toss?

But this is not the end of my English learning there is a small episode at Singapore which really made me what I am today. This is in the next part.

TO BE CONTINUED…

4 comments:

Karthik said...

IDhu thaan aarambham

Inimea thaan poogambham!!! :)

Lancelot said...

aiya ithukku munnadi oru part eluthiyaachu...

Karthick Krishna CS said...

sir, that i was arunkumar was the best part....

and one more thing...
onnu background change pannunga or else increase the font size+color change+proper line and paragraph spacing....
ennala ozhungaa padikkamudiyala...kannu kattudhu

Lancelot said...

aiya intha change ok vaa??/somewhat I am addicted to the color black(thats one of the reasons why i took law)...so suggest me a font color if you dont like this...thanks...

Genius Kamal ! ! !

Trisha : கண்ணோடு கண்ணைக் கலந்தாளென்றால் களங்கம் உள்ளவன் எச்சரிக்கை உடனே கையுடன் கைகோர்த்தானா ? ஒழுக்கங் கெட்டவள் எச்சரிக்கை ஆடை க...