Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Achilles Heel and Duryodhana’s Thigh – the truth about my previous birth


I was coming in train today and suddenly thought about the Brad Pitt’s poster I saw at my gym yestereve. The Gym people think it’s a motivation to the members to look at the poster and aspire for such a skin tee body, but they doesn’t know that people tend to eat more due to depression because they don’t have such an awe body. Anyways since I remembered Brad the Prat, I started thinking about his acting as the great Achilles in “The Troy” and then remembered the chat I had with Swathi Paul our Kaki’s Junior. I was telling her how Kaki and Me standing for the cause that the Indian Mythology is nowhere lesser than the English fantasies and how we chalked out the possible inspirations of Indian Myths in JKR’s Harry Potter. How we got bashed by some juveniles which is a big story, let’s set it aside. I was thinking about Achilles and suddenly the Duryodhana character from Mahabharath came to my mind, they both share something in common. Achilles heel and Duryodhana’s thigh are more or less the same story.

Achilles mother, Thetis, had dipped the infant Achilles in the river Styx, holding onto him by his heel, and he became invulnerable where the waters touched him -- that is, everywhere but the areas covered by her thumb and forefinger, implying that only a heel wound could have been his downfall and as anyone could have predicted he was killed when an arrow shot by Paris and guided by Apollo punctures his heel.

Similarly, in Mahabharath, Queen Gandhari decides to help Duryodhana win. Asking him to bathe and enter her tent naked, she prepares to use the great mystic power of her eyes, blind-folded for many years out of respect for her blind husband, to make his body invincible to all attack in every portion. But when Krishna, who is returning after paying the queen a visit, runs into a naked Duryodhana coming to the tent, he mockingly admonishes him for his intent to appear so before his own mother. Knowing of Gandhari's intentions, Krishna criticizes Duryodhana, who sheepishly covers his groin before entering the tent.

When Gandhari's eyes fall upon Duryodhana, they mystically make each part of his body invincible. She is shocked to see that Duryodhana had covered his groin, which was thus not protected by her mystic power.

At the climax, Duryodhana meets his arch nemesis Bhima in Mace fighting. At this battle, both were equally matched, Duryodhana with his mystic Armour and Bhima with his strength (Bhima possessed the strength of 8000 Elephants by drinking a Liquid that his maternal great grandfather had given him). After a long and brutal battle stretching many days, Duryodhana begins to exhaust Bhima. At this point, Krishna, who is observing the fight, motions to Bhima, reminding him of his oath to crush Duryodhana's thigh. Bhima viciously attacks Duryodhana with a mace and strikes at his thigh which is not protected by Gandhari's blessing, and Duryodhana finally falls, mortally wounded.

How similar the stories are, does this means that all these stories are imaginary or about the same person but with different names and versions? Does that mean the comparison between Jesus Christ and Lord Krishna is also true? Does this means that all our fore fathers belonged to the same clan and its us who are divided based on religion, race, culture, tradition blah blah blah? How the world would be if we were all together? May be Kaki will know who is Beauty and who is Meera, may be I can taste Senorita’s dishes, may be I can be with my beloved as there will be no seas in between the countries. *Sigh* Man proposes God disposes. I know your question, “So Lancelot, what this has to do with your previous birth???” Read the Post Script below ;)

P.S: Why I have to write something like this? Is this what you call divine intervention? People call me the Indian Brad Pitt (Believe me), and why should Brad Pitt act as Achilles? And why should I think about Brad Pitt and write about the character Achilles played by him, off all the characters? And why should be Achilles’s teacher a Centaur (called Chiron)? And why should I be a Centaur myself (Sagittarius – December born)? Does this mean I was Achilles in one of my previous birth? Until the contrary is proved by anyone, it is hereby recorded officially that I was Achilles in my previous birth.

P.P.S: The naked picture is the famous painting called ‘The Wrath of Achilles’ by the French Painter François-Léon Benouville (1821 – 1859).


53 comments:

Senorita said...

@ Lancelot...lovely post...this is precisely why Ii like to stop by at your blog...could you please continue this series and bring out some more similarities in hindu and western mythology :)

Lancelot said...

I am thinking of doing that as well...sure will do it...thanks for your encouragement...

Senorita said...

@ Lancelot...thanks...you are a star!!!

Lancelot said...

@ Sen
I am floored- he he he bit too much of praising though, I don't think I have given such an impressive blog post so far..

Senorita said...

@ Lancelot...OK taking back what I said...you are a blackhole...satisfied:P

Lancelot said...

@ Sen
thanks now thats what I call a motivation, I will try to prove that I am not what you said I am... ;) :P

Senorita said...

@ Lancelot...I like to do my bit for literature :P

Lancelot said...

Wow kiya bath hein kiya bath kein- its better than the Great BATH of Mohanjadaro...

Senorita said...

@ Lancelot...:))

Karthik said...

Shabba.... ippave kanna kathude!!!

Karthik said...

TR kuda sabash babu padathula avaroda pera ARUnu vachikitaaru... adhukkunu neenga TRnu naa sollamaatehn

JKR thannoda vettai puli padathula avar pera ARUn maatitaaru.. Adhuku nu ungala JKR nu solla maaten!!!

Ramarajan kuda seeri avrum kaalai la ARUn textiles la dress edhuthu pothaaru... Adhukku nu ungala RAMARAJAN sollala!!

Karthick Krishna CS said...

@lance,
its true that the traces of our last birth wil be ther... for instance, sometimes we do things we don knw before.. neenga pona jenmathula ennava venaalum irukkalaam... neenga solradhudhaana... and im glad to help u in the comparison posts.. after all our friendship started durin that topic...

p.s. me too last birthla, the same krishna... sonna nammala nambamaattanga...

Karthik said...

@Kake:

Yappa.. idhu serious posta?? Naa sirippu postaavula ninachen!!!

Lancelot said...

@ Kartik

Machi perru share panna mattum pathathu they should have died long long back- but all the persons u referred are still alive and killing others so (naattamai vijayakumar style) Sellathu Sellathu...and ya latest post- eppothume comedythaan nee seriyaana sirippu police :P

Lancelot said...

@ kaki

meyallumae baa athu semma argumentlaa?? oru school ponna alluvaa vitomlaa :P yeah whatever I say should be truth- like Vadivelu said in pulikessi "inni varum santhathiyinarukku naan eppadi irunthen endru theriyaava pogirathu" :P :P :P u can try that technic and paint ya face in arnold's body kaki...

and naan namburen neenga nejaamave Krishnan thaan- like his Rukmani and bhama - u ve got beauty and Meera(meera is also a devotee of Krishna according to history :P) enna coincidence - this is what I say DIVINE INTERVENTION...

Karthick Krishna CS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karthick Krishna CS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karthick Krishna CS said...

@lance
naan aanjaneyar bakthan. pona jenmathula senja thappa, thiruthikitten.. ;)
thevayillama pombalainga paavatha vaangaatheenga..

Kaycee said...

First of all, that doesn't like too Wrathful to my eyes! Hehehe!!


Second, I want to say something my mother told me sometime back about yarns being spun the same way across the world:

a. Remember the deluge (when Noah saved two of every kind in his ark) in the Bible? Our own mythology mentions it too (when Lord Vishnu saved our skins as the Matsyavataram).

b. Much later in history and/ or legend, both Moses and Karna were found in baskets floating in a river and raised by foster parents.

c. Although we do not have a clear picture of Vishnu's last incarnation, I couldn't help relating the Revelations (the horsemen of the Apocalypse) to the typical picture we're shown of the Kalkiavataram.

Lancelot said...

@ kaki

NAMBITOM NAMBITOM...

@ kaycee

madam u r so true about the Noah's incident but the comparision i wud like to differ- i don't know whether you've heard of Lord Shiva's AAZHITHAANDAVAM- AAZHI means forceful wind and water(thats why Tssunami is named as AAZHI PERRALAI)..when he does that dance the water comes into the land from sea and washes everything out(I dont remember when exactly he did the dance last time)but when he danced last time - he took two specimens of each living thing in a vessel(tamil: Kudam)and kept with him while destroying the world after the floods were drained he left the species in a small land mass- a similar story is there among the INCA civilisation as well(told till date in Peru)...all these stories are similar to te world known Noah's story(remember OH GOD we saw???)I will write on this once I get more facts...cheers Kri

GLO said...

thoda namma annathae achilles amla,
ethanai peru ippidi kilambitinga?
eppa intha troy movie vanthutho appailandhu ah?
annalum ungala mathiri yarum post panna mudiyathu.
and you always seem to do good researh before posting.
on looking at all your post, i think that you have lot of vetti neram.

Lancelot said...

@ GLO,

I know achilles even before the movie TROY came- I love to read mythology and history- thats why I am able to post on these topics - and I am a mullu neela somberi so research ethuvum panrathu illa...and nee romba late pick uppu...naan vettinu ippothaan theriyumma unnaku?

swathi paul(dew drop) said...

i used to be intrested in greek mythology at school.im looking forward to more such posts.well im a taurean so i cant imagine myself a cow shed in my previous birth.but even hitler is a taurean so is shakespeare so ill choose shakespeare.achilles and you too much elle?????????it was funny though

Lancelot said...

@ swathi

He he he thanks for dropping bye...u might be a bull in Spanish bull fight during your last birth :P... and why everyone thinks Achilles to look like Brad ?? he need not be like him he can even be better looking like me...and blog romba seriousaa iruntha bore adichidum athukuthaan u shud have a tinging factor in it...

Vinnie said...

25th comment:)

u r analysing way too much, Lance. u r 'one of a kind', remember??

no rebirth, reincarnation theory

viji said...

~~it is hereby recorded officially that I was Achilles in my previous birth.~~

yemmadi.. unga karpanai valathuku oru alave illame poiducu.. hey pls wake up.
etanai per ipadi kilambi irukkinga raaasa... :)

p/s: intha birth le onnum senja paadu ille. ithule pona jenma kathei tevaiya??

Lancelot said...

@ viji

unnaku poramai :P (sticking out my tongue at you :P)

Lancelot said...

@ Vin

read it in Vadivel style...

One of a kind intha birthlaa naan solraathu ponna birthulla- every birth i am One of a Kind..

Ramyah said...

lancelot..very interesting post. I have never realised the similarities between these mythologies till i read yours. Awesome.In fact i didn't know about the Duryona's chapter before. thanks for posting.

But ur P/S, i think kinda too much.

Lancelot said...

@ Ramyah

thank you for the comments- there will be more posts under this mythological comparisons...and P.S. is to add masala to the story :P :P :P...I am the glamor quotient in the post :P :P :P

Karthick Krishna CS said...

@to all those commented

dont laugh after reading the post. he is indeed achilles who fought in trojan war. today lancelot, in this birth, fighting anti virus PC trojan war.

p.s. i realised this wen i came to knw that i was Frodo Baggins in last birth ;)

Lancelot said...

@ KAKI

wrong info bro, I was indeed Sir Lancelot himself in one of my previous births' and this birth i am arun...and Frodo Baggins- don't you remember this Legolus the elf???

Karthik said...

Lance's blog is a BRAD (Nails you) and PIT'T' (especially his comments n my blog)

Karthik said...

You cant be Achilles because you don have Achilles heel or Achilles tendom...

Lancelot said...

@ kartik

I said I was achilles in my previous birth- not in this birth my dear boy...

Karthik said...

Even in ur previous birth you cant be ACHILLES... Because as per Professor Trelawney's prediction You had a star sign of MISCHIEF MANAGED... So you are not Achilles

Lancelot said...

@ Kartik

I said one of my previous births not my only previous birth,...and mischief managed is not a star sign- but she is right i am one of the maureders my name is Black, SiriusBlack wuf Wuf wuf...

Karthik said...

You had the star sign of one of the four accusts of MISCHIEF MANAGED gang.. Oh r u SIRIUS??

Karthik said...

I'm QUARTER.. HARRY QUARTER.. yet to drink OLD MUNK QUARTER.... U r ma GOLD_FATHER.. Where is the GOLD?

Karthik said...

Don think I've said u ACHILLES.. By now U r SIRIUS nt ACHILLES...

Lancelot said...

I am serious that I am sirius...and prove me that I am not Achilles

Lancelot said...

and Gold is in Lalitha Jewellers...

Karthik said...

You must have had cold in your last birth and SNEEzed... The sound ACH ACH ACH came.. You Were in ILL.. Aftr relieved you said Hizzed as ESS,,,

ACH+ILL+ESS= Achilles...

Karthik said...

Even if you are serious, you cannot have ACHILLES because its not a SERIOUS problem :P

Lancelot said...

Nice try but still it means I am Achilles and who knows according to ya theory me, Achilles in previous birth was named because of that incident...

Karthik said...

Evn if ur name cn be ACHILLES, You cannot have his character.. So the contradiction theory arises...

Not All RAMARAJANS sing behind cows with JIGU JIGU dress

Not all T.RAJENDAR have BEARD

Not All AJITH has THOPPAI

Not all VIJAY can FLY

Not all ACHILLES can be BRAD PITT

and so not you...

Lancelot said...

@ Kartik

again a nice try but I never said I am Brad Pitt, did I ? read the post again I just said I am Achilles9the real one) in one of my previous births- disprove boy :P...(never fight with a lawyer) In general quotes: "sharks dont bite until you touch their private parts" and in Harry Potter style "Never tickle a sleeping dragon" (punch dialogue ba...)

Lancelot said...

Even if I am not serious to sirius, I am serious about Achilles, because Achilles is a serious person compared sirius, sirius may be a serious person which not a serious issue to me. Hence I seriously feel Achilles is serious about sirius..

Karthick Krishna CS said...

@lance
i only remember dobby and kreacher.. ;).. may be "selective" memory loss

Lancelot said...

@ kaki

intha postukku 50 commentsaaa?? anyways machi nee romba kollapikitta..antha elves in one of our births where I was Sirius and you were Longbottom :P...intha legolus the elf nee froddo bagginsaa irukum pothu...got it??

Karthick Krishna CS said...

@LL
enakku kolappame illa. ungalukku endha birthla endha character venumo eduthukonga. neraya azhagaana heroine irukkura characters enakku kuduthurungga. kadhai mudiyumbodhu, kadaisila naan uyiroda irundha podhum...

lynda ann amma said...

you have a great intellect and write very amusing and interesting blogs.

Lancelot said...

@ Amma

Thank u :)

Genius Kamal ! ! !

Trisha : கண்ணோடு கண்ணைக் கலந்தாளென்றால் களங்கம் உள்ளவன் எச்சரிக்கை உடனே கையுடன் கைகோர்த்தானா ? ஒழுக்கங் கெட்டவள் எச்சரிக்கை ஆடை க...